Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, more commonly known as ADHD, is a condition that affects both children and adults. Symptoms include a combination of poor concentration, hyperactivity, impulsivity, and distractibility. The condition is more common in males. Although studies report that around 50 percent of children outgrow ADHD, sometimes they can be left with residual problems from earlier learning difficulties.
What Does ADHD Look Like?
There are two categories of symptoms that could be present in ADHD. Please note that because of the controversy over this disorder, it is best to seek the help of a mental health professional to determine if you or your child has ADHD.
- Restless or fidgety; unable to stay seated
- Trouble playing quietly in children
- Excessive running, climbing, and/or jumping in children
- Inappropriate and excessive talking
- Difficulty waiting or taking turns
- Often interrupts others
- Easily distracted
- Often loses things
- Difficulty paying attention and focusing
- Seems like not listening or daydreaming
- Trouble completing tasks such as homework or chores
- Makes careless mistakes
Free ADHD Tests
Want to learn more about ADHD/ADD? Check out these free self-tests!
Causes of ADHD
There is still a great deal to be learned about the causes of ADHD. Possible causes may include:
- Environmental toxins such as lead exposure
- Drinking alcohol or smoking during pregnancy
- Inability to self-regulate
Treatment for ADHD
Everyday activities, including school or work can be difficult for people struggling with ADHD, but with proper treatment, you can learn effective coping skills and new strategies to help you successfully navigate through life. Call us today at 734.203.0183 to learn more about how we can help you or your loved one.